Sunday, November 10, 2013

Poem: True 'Til Death



Hi guys. I recently made the decision to be straightedge, not to fit in with anything, but because I believe that it is the right choice for me. I have never been attracted to all the hedonism and excess exhibited by people in my age group (late teens-early twenties) who place so much importance on partying every friday, saturday, and sunday night. It's not for me. I don't need these toxins in my body for the sake of doing what all these other people consider to be "fun". Here's a poem I wrote about my decision.




True ‘Til Death

I reject the joint,
The syringe,
The bottle,
And the pill.
I am straightedge.
True ‘til death.
They ask me with grins on their faces,
amused and condescending.
“So, you’re Straightedge?”
“What do you do then?”
What do I do?
I walk through the fiery trials of life
without having to use a crutch.
I can go to a party
and enter the next day unscathed.
I can face a crisis as mountainous as a bull elephant,
stress contorting my body,
with uncertainty insurmountable
and pull through without resorting to the poisons that took down my uncle,
my cousin,
and my grandfather.
I see each day for what it really is,
not through a synthetic lens.
I live in the moment
not in a hazy alternate reality.
I create while you destroy.
I prosper while you burn.
And I feed from your decay.
I stay high,
not from the herb
but in the mind.
I am straightedge.
True ‘til death

No comments:

Post a Comment