Friday, August 1, 2014

Opeth Releases "Eternal Rains" and I Say OMNOMNOMNOMNOM


Opeth is a band that I honestly hold to a higher standard than most all other bands. I respect them and their artistic decisions to a great extent, even when it came to their last album, Heritage, which completely ditched their progressive death metal sound in favor for a retro prog-rock one. Heritage has indeed grown on me over the last few years and it looks like the band is continuing down that path with their latest release, Pale Communion.


The first track revealed for this album was "Cusp of Eternity", which I liked, but wasn't really compelled by. I feel the total opposite with this new song. I love it and I'm blown away by it. Its complexity trumps "Cusp of Eternity" by quite a bit, and it is overall a much more exciting song with its sharp stylistic turns and dynamic shifts. Dizzying drumming, vintage keyboards, a sweet solo, it's all here on full display. I haven't been this excited about Opeth in a long time and I'll be buying Pale Communion the first day it's released for sure. Let me know what you thing about the track below.

No comments:

Post a Comment