Wednesday, January 30, 2013

METAL MOUTH-OFF: Jazz, School, and You


   I have three classes today, it's the middle of the week, and I'm starting to realize the enormity of the fucking workload that lies before me this semester. Shit, better do a metal mouth-off! Hopefully I'll have a "Classics" review up by tomorrow, but until then...

   I've been listening to a lot of jazz since starting college a year and a half ago, and this has been a source of clashing with my dad (whose favorite music is jazz) not unity. Why? Like metal, jazz has what feels like three dozen sub genres, a lot of them that sound radically different from one another, so in that lies the conflict. My taste in jazz lies in late '60s Miles Davis throughout the fusion of the first half of the '70s while my dad listens mainly to hard bop and soul jazz from the earlier part of the '60s, I'm not a huge fan of hard bop, and my dad has no taste for a lot of  the fusion that I listen to, especially Bitches Brew, an album that he has never even listened to a single song from all the way through due to how "off-putting" the album is to him. One thing that annoys me about my dad and our clashing tastes in music is how he scoffs at stuff that he sees as "unoriginal" but whenever I show him a progressive band I like he thinks it's too "weird" and "out there" for his taste. So, you want to hear stuff that's original, but you don't really like stuff that's original. That makes about as much sense as a bird walking slowly to another tree instead of flying to it, but I'll let my dad have his own little idiosyncrasies.

   As I mentioned, school has started and this semester is going to kick my fucking ass. 14 units, and all my classes require lots and lots of reading and homework, in fact, I really shouldn't be fucking blogging right now, I have math in a few hours shudder.)Blogs are going to be more and more infrequent, but hell, not a heck of a lot of you read this thing. For those who do, Still be expecting album reviews, music articles, and more metal mouth-offs that only seem to make sense to me. 

   Tomorrow is going to be a doozey, why? Because I'm reviewing what I think is the greatest hip-hop album of all time and I have a hell of a lot to say about it as usual. Guess what the album is in the comments section below. Oh, and no metal mouth-off can be complete without METAL, so here's some Death \m/


  

No comments:

Post a Comment