Monday, April 28, 2014

My Favorite Band has Released a New Song...and I'm Falling Asleep


So, my all time favorite band is Judas Priest. Stained Class from 1978 is my number one heavy metal album, and second favorite album overall, but this new track doesn't even chart in comparison to other songs in their catalog. It might as well be renamed "Redee'meh'r of Souls".

But was I expecting greatness from this band this late into their career? Absolutely not. Nostradamus left a pretty nasty taste in my mouth, so I wasn't in any way anticipating something new from this band to satisfy me. What I wasn't expecting, however, was the lackluster production that weighs down this track. The guitars have a horribly cheap (and horribly obnoxious) chorus effect on them while the drums sound flat and lifeless. The vocals don't sound much better with the awkward way they sit in the mix, and "Redeemer of Souls" overall sounds akin to a generic power metal song from some local act in your city that plays at half-empty bars.

Now, I hate describing a Judas Priest song like this. Judas Priest was the band that changed my life when I was a kid, and they're partly the reason why I'm such a big metal-nerd today, but this isn't up to the standard that they set for metal back in the '70s and '80s. But, again, I wasn't expecting anything great, so I can't say I'm disappointed.

Listen to the song above and tell me what you guys think. Stay based, and keep it heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment