Friday, February 8, 2013

Black Veil Brides: OBVIOUS APPEAL


   One band that most jaded metalheads get all pissy about these days has to be Black Veil Brides, a melodic metal band that lies in the same vein as the equally polarizing Avenged Sevenfold in terms of overall sound. While I find many of their songs to be really catchy, perhaps even good (minus some stuff I've heard off their over-bloated latest album), I have never considered myself to be a fan of the group (this has absolutely nothing to do with protecting my metal cred, honest Abe) but I understand their appeal to so many suburban teenagers who wear their t-shirts and go to their shows with scars painted on the sides of their mouths akin to the band's singer Andy Biersack. But honestly, the people I don't understand are the people who DON'T get their appeal.



  
   Watch this video by popular youtube metal critic CoverKillerNation:





Over and over he says that he has no idea whatsoever as to why people like the band when, to me, it's totally and blatantly obvious. Just read their lyrics. They almost exclusively cover the topic of being an outcast and overcoming the hardship associated with being one, for example:

"The Outcasts (Call To Arms)"

This Record Is For The Outcast
Following Our Stories Of
Love
Life
And Never Giving In
We Are The Black Veil Brides 

 "Perfect Weapon"

 Awake at night you focus,
On everyone whose hurt you,
Then write a list of targets,
Your violence lack of virtue.

Leave us alone!
You're on your own!
Rrrraaa-Go!

   So, when you have an entire fuckin nation rife with black-clad kids who don't fit in and are looking for an outlet and something to identify with, they will seek out something exactly like Black Veil Brides and what they have to offer (Oh, did I mention that their singer is hot? It's a plus for the ladies.) So, you have a dark image, uplifting lyrics, and an aggressive, but accessible metal sound? That's the recipe for breaking into the fringe teenage market that's ill-inclined to listen to radio-rap shit like Pitbull and dance-pop like Carly Rae Jepson. While they won't sell millions of copies (well, shit, no one does these days) or be as popular as all the bland rock and pop out there dominating the charts, they are one of the more popular metal bands out there on this particular planet and I'm in full understanding of their sizable appeal to kids these days. And yes, I did say that I liked some of their music earlier. Feel free to mail your feces to my house, I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment