Friday, February 15, 2013

Strapping Young Lad: My Unpopular Opinion

With the loads of Devin Townsend Project material over the last few years igniting the boners of metalheads the world over, I'm reminded of his previous band, Strapping Young Lad and how much people glorify them...and how much I dislike them. I just don't get it. Well, here's what I think.

So, Strapping Young Lad. An "extreme" metal band from Vancouver with a lot of (in my opinion) annoying industrial influences and absolutely genius lyrics (example: "And I can't even EAT And I can't even FUCKING PISS!! All I've been doing is thinking about GOD and DEATH Infinity!! Baby!! Little baby, little baby...YEAH!! Aw, FUCK!!! FUCK!!")Their frontman Devin Townsend  also has a million solo records and mostly bald hair with the exception of the back and sides, like a heavy metal (and white) Kimbo Slice, while big fat drummer Gene Hoglan tries to fulfill his dream to play in every metal band that's ever existed. Both these guys are overly talked about like they're fuckin' gods or something, just mentioning the name "Devin Townsend" seems to create orgasms in the minds of a lot of metalheads. So I finally checked them out and, well, I thought they sucked. Tons of toneless, distortion saturated guitar buzzery, countless f-bombs and (rrrrrrgggghhhrrr) annoying-as-fuck elektro bullshit. And it seems like EVERYONE loves these guys! WHY?! I can't see why people can talk endless shit about Lamb of God when they listen to this amateurish angst-ridden fuckfest. I heard one song and thought it was a joke, but NO, their other songs are just as stupid. And I mean STUPID. It's like music you listen to when you're angry at your parents for not giving you an allowance or something. Fucking SLIPKNOT has better lyrics and music, and guess what, I DON'T LIKE SLIPKNOT EITHER!!!!

Listen to the song then weigh in on your opinions below....I need a break....




No comments:

Post a Comment