Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spotify Is Cool

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:user:1267513784:playlist:00SFhW4I24ALx9DfwymqhN" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Yes, I just started using Spotify. Am I late to the party? Yes! But what's important is the fact that I'm on board and I now have a resource to discover loads of bands that fit into the incredibly unpopular microgenre of funeral doom

If you read Monday's post about Evoken, you would've picked up on my developing taste for funeral doom's molasses-slow tempos and hyper-depressive atmospherics. In fact, these albums should be prepackaged with razorblades to slice your wrists to ribbons with to save you an inconvenient trip to the drug store. Spotify has been integral in my exposure to the music and it's gratuitous levels of darkness, and for that, I am thankful.

The only thing I don't like about the service are the fucking ads. And almost all the ads are telling you to pay $10 dollars a month so you can listen to Spotify without the ads. It's pretty annoying when you press play on an album (and yes, I listen to albums from start to finish, in order) and the 1:48 intro track comes to a crescendo and is about to explode into the first real song when, without fail, I have to sit through an ad that's telling me to pay money to have the ads removed. THEN I can listen to the rest of the album, albeit with ads sprinkled throughout. It impedes the flow of an album considerably, and the atmosphere of funeral doom in particular is ruined by an ad, especially when the ad is promoting a banal, beyond-awful dance pop tune. I get that one a lot. Anyway, my doom metal playlist should be posted above. Give it a listen if you want to commit suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment